Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Staff Spotlight: Mr. Jonas

Editor's Note: This Staff Spotlight highlights Mr. Jonas, who previously worked for Mainsprings as a Secondary School teacher before departing to complete his Bachelors Degree in Administration and Education. With his studies complete, he is now back on the Mainsprings campus, working as our Campus Registrar.

How long have you been working at Mainsprings?:

"Almost three years in total, with a break in between to complete my Bachelor's Degree in Administration and Education."

Why did you decide to do this job?:

"I love the interaction I can have in my job with both the parents and students. I feel this job provides opportunities to help prepare a future generation to be competent and have the skills to live a full life. This is important to me as I want to invest in the future generation. I also felt I was a good educator and I wanted to take the next step in upgrading my skills through first my education, and now in a new and challenging job position. I like that it is a profession that has different activities and will always keep me learning. 

What do you enjoy most about your position?:

"I like when I have a plan, set it in motion, and then see that is has gone well. In particular, I like when I see this happen with the students that I help and then have the opportunity to see them prosper and do well."

What is your favorite thing about Mainsprings?:

"My favorite thing about Mainsprings is that we are provided the opportunity to help those who would not otherwise have access to what we have to offer. I appreciate that Mainsprings provides an opportunity to learn for not only the students and girls, but also to the staff and broader community. For example, they teach us to care about our community, give us opportunities to learn about new technology, and provide opportunities to attend seminars and learn."

What are your favorite activities at Mainsprings?:

"First, I really appreciate the various teaching methods we use and facilities we have to offer. Secondly, I love all of the exposure to sports we have, including tennis! It has been really great having the opportunity to have training and learn alongside the students."

What is the biggest challenge of your job?

"I think currently the biggest challenge is outside of Mainsprings. It is challenging to learn the different laws in Tanzania having to do with my administration job. They are always changing and it is a challenge to stay up to date on best practices!"

What do you want to do in the future?:

"I want to continue to learn more and not be closed-minded in this world that is always changing. For example, I want to continue to learn how to use and apply new technology as it continues to develop. I also want to always be learning new approaches to teach students new skills outside of traditional schooling. I want them to learn not only their academic education, but also basic skills that they will carry with them throughout life."