Friday, November 11, 2016

Staff Spotlight: Mr. Kidapanda

Editor's Note: To continue our Staff Spotlight segments, JBFC would like to introduce our supporters to Mr. Kidapanda, the head of Joseph and Mary Secondary School.


How long have you been working at JBFC?:

I have been working for 2 years now. This is my second year.

What is your position at JBFC?:

I am the Head Teacher of Joseph and Mary Secondary School.

What are your responsibilities at JBFC?:

Being the Head of Secondary School, I have two things to do - teach in the classroom (I teach English), and supervise the teachers while accomplishing their teaching activities. Also, I overview the school discipline for both teachers and students and I give daily progress reports to the administration. I'm the middle man to take the information from the administration to the teachers and vice versa. This communication promotes unity between the teachers, students, and administration.

Why did you want to be a teacher?:

I decided to be a teacher in 1983 when my English teacher inspired me in the way that he was teaching. In that year, some of the students in my class came to me asking some questions and I found that I really enjoyed teaching. While answering their questions, I was using the blackboard and my classmates were saying that they liked my handwriting and so did my teacher, so after that I had the responsibility of writing on the blackboard during class time.

What is your favorite part of your job?:

My favorite part of my job is teaching English, especially Literature, because I relate past situations and compare them to present realities in our society which catch my attention. There is so much that we can learn from the past to make a better future. I feel happy when my students are engaged in my lessons, answering questions, etc. That makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

What is the biggest challenge you face with your job?:

The biggest challenge that I face in my day to day activity is when the teachers fail to perform their activities at their maximum standard. I make meetings to remind them about the importance of quality education. Another challenge I face sometimes is the students' attitude. Some of them don't really like coming to school, and it takes a lot of time and effort to keep them engaged and make them understand the importance of education.