Friday, March 25, 2016

heART for Tanzania

Editor's Note: Veteran volunteer, Tammi Mayfield, returned to JBFC for the third time last month. She got to see first-hand what her Denver fundraiser, heART for Tanzania, means to the JBFC community. This is an interview with her about her trip.



How many times have you visited JBFC's campus in Tanzania and why did you want to return?

Tammi Mayfield: This is my third year to visit JBFC. Before I came, I never realized the impact that the girls and the organization would have on my life. To be a small part of something some much larger than me is incredible. On my first visit I never thought of this would be an annual trip and now I can't imagine going a year without it.


What did you do during your trip? 

TM: This year I had the opportunity to work one-on-one with a couple of students every afternoon on reading, which was great. I have to say that Emma [one of JBFC's residential girls] has a great sense of humor. One day, she decided to call me Emma and introduce herself as Tammi! It was very sweet and memorable, not to mention hilarious!

You hosted a fundraiser, heART for Tanzania, in Denver, CO for the second year in a row. The fundraiser is a silent auction featuring art work from local artists and JBFC girls and students. Last year, it raised enough money to build a brand new chicken coop and stock it with chicks. What was it like to see the chicken coop that your fundraiser helped build?

TM: I was so thankful to be able to see and photograph the chicken coop that my Denver friends and I supported. I am so excited to be able to have something to return to year after year to see how it's progressed. The chicken coop is just another of the sustainable projects that makes JBFC so unique and I am so proud to be part of.


Why would you encourage people to participate in heART for Tanzania? Or to put on an event of their own?

TM: I was amazed, but no longer surprised with the support of my friends and neighbors. Giving people an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others is easy and a great way to create community. Love JBFC and Denver!