Wednesday, February 17, 2016

JBFC New Faces: Paula Casimiro

Hi everybody!

My name is Paula and I’m the new Logistics Coordinator for JBFC in Tanzania!

I’m originally from Spain and I spent the last year and a half volunteering in Tanzania. I totally fell in love with the country and decided I wanted to stay here. When I started to look for a job, I found this position in this awesome NGO! I applied and some days later they interviewed me and asked me to come to JBFC’s Campus in Kitongo. Two days were more than enough to know that I wanted to work here and contribute with all I could to keep this organization growing.

I started the 18th of January, so I’m still learning but it’s already been a great experience!

I arrived at JBFC’s village of Kitongo on a Sunday evening, after 2 hours in the car, 14 hours on a bus and 24 hours on a plane. Needless to say, the first day I was really tired. At the same time, I was really excited and nervous! I wanted everything to be perfect!

JBFC’s Administrative Director Melinda Wulf was in charge of training me (pole for that!). She’s been really patient with me and has always tried to make me feel comfortable while I was learning everything about my new job. I have two major responsibilities: to coordinate all the things related to the volunteers/guests and to manage the daily cash.

These first few weeks I’ve been focused on the first part and learning all the details of JBFC’s volunteer program. And now I’m starting to be in charge of the cash. JBFC’s micro-economy operates on a cash-only basis. With more than 70 employees, 330 students, and any number of building or maintenance projects going on daily, there is a lot going on every day. So this is a big responsibility.

The hard work is more than made up for by the fun I get to have with the JBFC girls. My favorite time at JBFC so far is when I get to go with the girls to the pool. I love to play with them and we all have a lot of fun.
I am so excited to be at JBFC. I can’t wait to meet all of you who are visiting JBFC in 2016. Thank you JBFC for giving me this opportunity!


Guest Blogger Paula Casamiro is JBFC’s newest employee. She was just hired as our new logistics coordinator. She speaks Spanish and Swahili and she will play a major role in making sure JBFC’s volunteers have an amazing time while they’re on campus.