Wednesday, January 21, 2015

JBFC New Faces: Alyssa Doty

Editor's Note: JBFC recently hired Alyssa Doty as the Office Manager in Tulsa, Ok. In her blog, she explains why this is a "perfect job" for a former missionary kid.



As the daughter of missionaries I was fortunate to spend most of my childhood in Venezuela. This opportunity not only made it possible for me to easily learn a second language, it also instilled in me a love for travel and for learning about other cultures. When I returned to the U.S. for college my plan was to finish my degree and then to go live “overseas” again.



Life, as usually happens, took a bit of a different turn than I expected and I have been living for the past five years in Tulsa, OK (which – honestly - is a very different culture to me). Through the years I have had the opportunity to work for a number of great organizations, such as the Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club, and to use my Spanish skills in a program with Latina women to help reduce diabetes through lifestyle changes. I have also been able to travel to different parts of the world such as Israel, Egypt, and last summer to Nicaragua.



Through all of this I have been on the look-out for the “perfect” job: one where I could continue to live in Tulsa but work for an organization that impacts and makes a difference in the global community. When a friend told me about the job opening at JBFC I was elated (I’m pretty sure I e-mailed Ashli that very afternoon). The more I learned about JBFC the more it seemed like a perfect fit for me. Its focus on sustainability, the Tanzania community involvement, and the multi-pronged approach to reduce poverty are important aspects for an organization I work for. The focus on empowering girls was also a selling point for me as a firm believer in creating equal opportunities for girls and boys.


Evidently the JBFC staff thought I would be a good fit, too, (or else there were no other applicants) and I began work as JBFC’s Office Manager two weeks ago. I am excited to join the JBFC family on this journey and to play my part as one of the U.S. staff. The only thing that makes me sad is that it will be a while before I get a chance to visit Tanzania and meet the girls. In the meantime I will get to know them through their pictures and letters I send to sponsors, the stories volunteers bring back, and through the beautiful pictures on the blog and web page. I will work on my Swahili and read all the books I can on Tanzania. I am looking forward to getting to know all of the U.S. supporters who make it possible for the vision of JBFC to continue. I’m sure you will be hearing from me at some point. Please feel free to email me or call me or come grab a cup of coffee with me and we can practice our Swahili together.