Monday, July 9, 2012

New Faces: Connie Blaum

 Hi! My name is Connie Blaum, and I have been volunteering at the JBFC for two months and counting. I graduated from Louisiana State University in May of 2011 with a Bachelor’s degree in Communications. During college, apart from being a full time student, I was a member of the Chi Omega Sorority, an executive member of the Organization for Communication Studies, and also held a part-time job at a local daycare in Baton Rouge. Working at the daycare made me realize my love for children, so after graduation I moved to New Orleans to work with special needs children at Holy Name of Jesus School.




Around January of 2012, George and I decided we wanted take some time off to help others. After looking at numerous programs, we made the mutual decision to volunteer at the JBFC. We found out about the JBFC through our good friend, Stephanie Johnson, who volunteered here too. After hearing her stories about the girls, I knew I had to come to Tanzania and that JBFC was the right fit for us.
Since being here, I have taken on the task of the elementary school art teacher. Teaching art is so much fun! It feels great to know that the kids at The Joseph and Mary Primary School are excited to come explore their creativity!

I have not only become attached to the girls at the home, but also to the kids at the school. I have experienced so many new things so far, and I cannot wait to see what else JBFC has in store for me in the future.




Check back, we'll post New Faces, Pt 2 starring George Landrum on Tuesday, July 10th.